Neck pain or cervical pain is the commonly seen medical condition in daily practice. The neck is to hold the head while static or in motion. The components of the neck are bone, ligaments, muscles and intervertebral disc. So any injury, inflammation or disease associated with these structures can cause pain in the neck.
Most of the people feel neck pain occasionally as stiffness or numbness. Only the individuals who are having severe pain in the neck for long duration seek medical attention. Most of the time neck pain will be associated with postural defect.
Common Causes of Neck Pain:
- Muscle strain – due to postural defect or long duration of work without changing the posture.
- Trauma, fall or road accidents are known as whiplash (injury due to severe jerk to head).
- A degenerative disease like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Herniated disc.
- Spinal stenosis.
Symptoms of Neck Pain:
Neck pain will be presented as stiffness or dull pain, which is mostly worsened by movement, during continued work and after awakening in the morning. This pain may be associated with a dull headache, shoulder pain, dizziness and sometimes radiating to the upper arm as numbness.
The standard tests done for cervical pain are blood examination, x-ray, CT scan, and MRI.
General Management of Neck Pain:
The following are the general measures to manage neck pain.
- Avoid work in the same posture for a long duration. Should take a break for at least 10 minutes in between.
- One must correct the position of sleep and avoid very thick and high pillow. Use a pillow, which supports head and shoulder. Pillow should be neither very hard nor very soft. One can use a cervical pillow on the advice of the doctor.
- One can do yogic practices like bhujangasana, tadasana, makarasana, katichakrasana, etc., under the supervision of a yoga trainer.
- Also, the person can follow simple exercises like rotate the head once clockwise and then anti-clockwise, place hand on the shoulder and then rotate, etc.
- Ice or heat therapy will help. Also, strictly should avoid heavy lifting.
Homeopathic Treatment for Neck Pain:
Neck pain can be easily managed through homeopathy with lifestyle modification and yoga practices. Homeopathy approaches neck pain through individualization, meaning consideration of all factors like lifestyle, causation, symptoms and the worsening and relieving component of the disease. Homoeopathy can relieve the pain, muscle spasm and also address the cause of all this by allaying degeneration of the vertebrae.
At Care homeopathy, we offer a holistic approach in diagnosing and treating your neck pain through a combination of Homeopathic medicines. Our treatment is 100% safe, with zero side effects and proven track record of successful cases,globally. Arnica would be the remedy in cases of pain due to over-exertion or due to an injury to the cervical spine. Rhus tox helps in cases of muscular rheumatism and relieves stiffness of the neck etc. Ruta would be the remedy if osteophytes are impinging on the nerves. In cases where degeneration is evident Calcarea phos and Calcarea flour are indicated. Gelsemium helps in the typical pain in the nape of neck.Sangurinaria will relieve pain radiating into the shoulders especially the right.
Chelidonium is the remedy when pain is referred mostly into the shoulder and scapular region mostly the right. Spigelia helps to relieve pain radiating into the left chest region. Gnaphalium would help for patients with numbness as a predominant symptom. Conium is a remedy which would allay vertigo of any nature and more so in cases of Cervical Spondylosis.