Recurring Ulcers in mouth is a common problem for many. Small or large, one or several at a time, short lasting or those lasting for a few days, painful or nor painful, could be some of the features of this condition. Medically, this condition is also called Aphthous stomatitis.
Causes of Oral ulcers
The most common causes of recurring ulcers in mouth can be summarized as under:
- Deficiency: Vitamin B12, folic acid and iron deficiency. This is a most common cause of ulcers in mouth especially found among vegetarians. Also, iron deficiency in women due to healthy menses,could be a common cause. The treatment has to be targeted by proper supplements.
- Stress: Next common cause is acute or prolongs stress. Observed usually in those young people who live stressful life do to stringent deadlines are work, irregular sleep pattern.
- Smoking, use of tobacco, drugs, etc.
- Mechanical cause: Pressure to do rough or decayed tooth, bad dentures, etc.
- Bad oral hygiene
- Medicines: Some of the conventional medicines are known to produce mouth ulcers. They include pain-killers (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines), antibiotics, anti-cancer (chemotherapy), radiation, immunosuppressive medicines such as methotrexate, cyclosporine, Alendronic acid (used for osteoporosis) and some more.
- Infections: Some bacterial, viral and fungal infections
- Some oral diseases like Oral Lichen Planus
- Cancer: A non-healing ulcer in the mouth with swollen lymph node in neck must be examined to rule out cancer.
- Some unknown causes
As said above, ulcers in mouth could be in any form, size, shape, number and duration.
It is more often found above the age of 20 years, in both sexes. Children also may present with oral ulcers. Having ulcers once in a couple of years may not need much attention. However, if the ulcers keep recurring and if they take long time to heal, it calls for evaluation and strategic treatment.
Treatment for Mouth Ulcer
As a rule, the treatment has to be targeted at the cause of the ulcers.
Homeopathic treatment for oral ulcers
Recurring oral ulcers can be treated using homeopathy with great success. Depending on the cause behind the ulcers, the treatment has to be targeted. Some of the commonly used homeopathic medicines for acute and chronic oral ulcers are Borax, Nitric Acid, Carbolic acid, Mercurious solubus, Phosphorus, Arsenic album, Carbo animalis, Kali choloratum, etc.
Homeopathic treatment is strongly suggested for all cases of recurring and chronic Oral ulcers.
1. Mercurius Solubus
Mercurius Solubus is a medicine for mouth ulcers derived from the trituration of quicksilver. It shows a powerful action on every organ and tissue of the body. Merc Sol not only hastens the healing of ulcers and reduces the pain, but it also eradicates the tendency of frequent mouth ulcers. It is (for most of the homeopathic physicians) the first line of treatment for mouth ulcers. It is indicated for all kind of ulcers whether small or big and in severe cases where the mouth is inflamed with burning aphthous ulcers with salivation with a lot of salivation. It is also helpful in certain other aphthous conditions: pale mucous membrane( mouth lining) with numerous erosions, small, flat ulcers with red, inflamed edges on the tongue and inside of lips and cheeks. Excessive saliva in the mouth and desire for cold water while having ulcers are indications for this medicine. A foul, metallic taste of the saliva, confluent oral thrush that changes into ulcers, and diffused redness of the whole mucous membrane of the mouth with profuse salivation.
2. Borax Veneta – For Mouth Ulcers that Bleed Easily
Borax is a medicine derived from sodium bicarbonate. Sodium bicarbonate was used in the earlier times to neutralize the effect of excessive acids produced by the stomach. In homeopathy, it is used to treat ulcers that have a tendency to bleed easily when touched, or during eating. Other key indications for borax to be used are dryness in the mouth with rapid formation of the ulcers. The ulcers appear in the mouth and on the inner surface of the cheeks. It is also used for mouth ulcers in infants and babies.
3. Nitricum Acidum: For Mouth Ulcers with Severe Pain
Nitricum acidum is a medicine derived from the trituration of the nitric acid. It has a marked action on the outlets of the body where the mucous membranes meet the skin. It is used to treat ulcers that appear on the soft palate, within the cheeks and on the edges of the tongue. It is mostly used when the whole mouth is ulcerated and the pain are severe. For medicine Nitric acid to be used the key indications are sticking pains in ulcers like that from a splinter. It is also used in cases where the mucous membrane gets easily bitten, swollen and ulcerated. The Swollen mucous membrane, such as ulcerated tender gums, do not allow the patient to chew food.
4. Muratic Acidum: For Mouth Ulcers with Tendency to Perforate
Muratic Acidum is a medicine used to treat mouth ulcers where the mouth is studded with ulcers that tend to perforate. The ulcers usually have a dark or black base, and there is excessive redness inside the cheeks and the palate. Usually, the red, inflamed and painful ulcers occur as a result of aphthous stomatitis. There may be a lot of dryness of the mouth.
5. Kalium Iodium: For Mouth Ulcers that are Irregular Shaped
Kalium Iodum is a medicine for mouth ulcers that is used in cases where irregular ulcers appear in the mucous membrane of the mouth. They look as if they have a milky coating. Along with ulcerative condition of the mouth, copious salivation, offensive mouth odor, heat in the mouth, swelling, dryness, and bitterness in the mouth are, and pharynx are some symptoms that indicate the need for this medicine.
6. Natrum Muriaticum: For Oral Thrush
Natrum Mur. is a medicine for mouth ulcers that develop with oral thrush. There is dryness of the mouth, lips an tongue, soreness of the mouth with sensitivity to liquids, burning pain when food or liquids touch the ulcer, small grouped ulcers on the tongue, gums, and cheeks with burning along with profuse watery saliva from the mouth