A soft, waxy substance found among the lipids in the bloodstream and in all your body’s cells is cholesterol. It’s an important part of a healthy body because it’s used to form cell membranes, some hormones and is needed for other functions. But a high level of cholesterol in the blood – hypercholesterolemia – is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease, which leads to heart attack.
Types of cholesterol
There are several kinds, but the ones to focus on are
- Good: High-density cholesterol (HDL)
- Bad: Low-density cholesterol (LDL)
If too much LDL cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the walls of the arteries feeding the heart and brain. Together with other substances it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can clog those arteries. This condition is known as arthrosclerosis.
Homeopathic treatment for high cholesterol
It is a myth that most of the time high cholesterol is due to unhealthy food habits or due to less exercise or a bad lifestyle. These are the triggering factors, but not the real reason for high cholesterol levels. The high levels are due to the body’s incapability to deal with the stress. It is for sure that you can reduce or maintain your cholesterol by having a healthy diet, regular exercise, good sleep and reducing the stressful lifestyle. So it is better to take homeopathic medicines along with a change in lifestyle that would work effectively in dealing with the stress level and thus reducing the cholesterol in our body. These remedies not only help reduce the cholesterol safely but also help maintain the desired level for a longer time and maintain a healthy life.
There are some specific remedies in homeopathy that helps deal with the high cholesterol levels caused due to physical stress. They are:
- Curcuma Longa – The common name of this remedy is turmeric, which is commonly used in our traditional food preparation. This remedy can be taken either in the form of mother tincture or in low potency in case mother tincture is not available. This remedy significantly reduces the LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level. This remedy has a great anti-atherosclerotic function, which means it has the ability to protect and prevent the arterial walls from hardening and narrowing.
- Allium Sativum – This homeopathic remedy is made from garlic. It is especially useful for people who suffer from high cholesterol levels and who eat a lot of meat, with stomach-related issues like constipation, eructations constantly after eating food, etc. It has vasodilatory properties. That means it has the capability to reduce high blood pressure caused due to high cholesterol levels in the blood. 10 to 20 drops of Allium sativum twice a day would reduce the high blood pressure and cholesterol as well.
- Cholesterinum -This remedy is mainly indicated when a person suffers from a liver or gallbladder disease along with high levels of cholesterol. Actually, when the high cholesterol is due to liver disease or disease of the gallbladder, this remedy acts well in lower potency like 3X. It is indicated in people who suffer from severe pain in epigastrium, severe acidity, no appetite and feels nauseous often. It is also indicated in acute attacks of gallstone pain that come suddenly. This remedy not only relieves the acute attack of pain but also cures the problem to a larger extent.
There are several more homeopathic remedies for this condition. However, it is not possible to mention all of them here. Also, there are lots of other remedies that deal with your mental stress levels and regulate your cholesterol. In Care Homeo, these remedies are individualized, which means they are prescribed based on the individual case history and after understanding a person completely.